Friday, September 11, 2009

Sweet Home

"There’s no place like home."
The Wizard of OZ 1939

And this is mine. A fair amount of this blog will be about travel photography but this is where I start from and return to. This is the house that my father grew up in. It was built in 1907, a year after the great San Francisco earthquake. My grandparents had been living in San Francisco but they lost their home in the quake. They moved to Berkeley to build a new life.

This photo was taken this past July. It was just before sunset when I looked out my window at the beautiful warm sunlight and realized that it had begun to rain-rare for summer in the Bay Area. When you have sunlight plus rain there’s a pretty good chance you have a rainbow in the opposite direction of the sun. The sun was setting in the west and the window I was looking out of faces north so I went outside to go rainbow hunting. To the east, this is what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what?